21.3.06

Kuala Lumpur

I didn't know much before coming here, and had no idea what to expect. Well....it's a big Asian city. It has scyscrapers scattered around the city, including the Twin Towers-built in 1999 was the tallest building in the world, and KL Tower (which I went up). the town is nicknamed the 'garden city'. If you look over the city you can see fields of green. There are several large parks and even a nature reserve in the middle of the city.


I also went to the Batu Caves. It's a Hindu worshipping area. It's really cool. There is a huge Buddha (tallest standing Buddha- I know, ridiculous stat) set in front of a cliff, inside are limestone caves. You have to climb up a bunch of steps to get inside. Inside there are Hindu shrines all throughout the caves and its also a monkey playground. In February, every year, Hindus pierce themselves and hang shrines from the piercing and walk up and into the caves, sounds real strange, but would be cool to see.

This place has tons of cheap knock-off and pirated shit. I bought a North Face bag for $3, it would cost aout $60, and a bunch of dvds that aren't out yet (capote, king kong, brokeback etc.) for $2 a piece. I wanted to buy tons more- they have shoes (Nike, Adidas, DC) clothes, sunglasses, and it all looks and feels real- but Im travelling and can't carry too much, oh well, I'll be in Bangkok soon.

Malaysia is a muslim country, so in KL it's very common to see woman in scarves. At first I was nervous talking to them, cuz I didnt want to break any cultural rules, but all that I've encountered have been extremely friendly with tons of personality (much more than the men).

Okay, that's all I know about KL. Next up is Taman Negara National Park for some outdoor actvities (jungle safari, rafting, canopy, etc)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home